Arroz Con Pollo
Arroz con pollo translates to “rice with chicken” in Spanish and there are apparently as many versions of this dish out there as there are cooks. I’ve adapted mine from a variety of different recipes to play up the flavors and vegetables that my family likes but I don’t think there is a wrong way to do this. And don’t let the long ingredient list scare you – it’s a very easy recipe and it’s very forgiving. If you don’t have something you can easily substitute just about anything else or just skip it all together. So long as there is rice and chicken you are on the right path. It might not be the most authentic but it is a nice change of pace and it is also a one pot dinner, which I love.
4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into one inch chunks
1 onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric
1 pinch of saffron, dissolved in 2 TBSP hot water (optional)
1 tsp paprika
1 bell pepper, color of your choice, chopped (I prefer red for its sweetness and pop of color)
2 cups long-grain white rice
3 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes (or 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped)
1 cup of peas, fresh or frozen
Pinch of oregano
Dash of salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium/high heat.
- Add onions and cook 2-3 minutes, add garlic, cook an additional minute, then add turmeric and stir well so that the onions and garlic are well coated.
- Add the chicken pieces and try to leave enough space in between them so they’ll brown – sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika (crowding the chicken in will still cook it just fine but it won’t allow for the browning/crisping)
- Once chicken has started to brown on one side, flip it over and add the peppers.
- Allow peppers to cook for a few minutes then add the rice, stirring to coat – about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, saffron, oregano, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally as needed to prevent the bottom from sticking, until the rice is fully cooked.
- About 5 minutes before serving, add the peas and stir gently.