I have a spiral notebook full of recipes I’ve tried, made up and/or collected over the years. This one is fairly easy and flavorful, thanks to the addition of fresh ginger and olives. You can also use chicken thighs (I’d probably go with skinless/boneless) – just increase the cook time a little to make sure the chicken is fully cooked through. This isn’t the quickest recipe that I’ve got, but a lot of it is downtime as it cooks in the oven. It’s great over couscous or rice.
4-5 chicken breasts or 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 onion, sliced
3 carrots, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated
2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of water
1 TBSP thyme
1/2 cup pitted and chopped olives
3/4 cup chick peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a dutch oven or other oven proof skillet, saute onions in olive oil until translucent. Add chicken and brown on both sides.
- Add carrots, garlic, and ginger and saute about 5 minutes – add thyme, chickpeas, and olives.
- Add broth and water – bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake in oven 25 minutes; remove lid and cook 10 minutes more.
- Serve over rice or couscous.