This recipe was inspired by one I found online, but I’ve changed it a little to make it lighter and to adapt to how I cook. It’s just a fun twist on pasta, quick and easy too.
4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 4oz. can diced green chiles, drained
2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
20 oz. green enchilada sauce
2/3 cups red enchilada sauce
1 cup 2% shredded cheddar or “Mexican” mix cheese, plus more for serving
1 cup reduced fat sour cream OR 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste
1 box Penne pasta
- Cook pasta according to directions
- At the same time, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onions 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and red pepper. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts, sprinkling them with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. Brown the chicken (try not to crowd it, work in batches if necessary) and turn once to cook through.
- Add the enchilada sauces and green chiles and stir well. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the cheese and the sour cream (or yogurt). Mix well.
- Pour over cooked pasta. Serve with additional shredded cheese.