I like adding spinach to lasagna because a) I just love spinach but also b) the boys will eat spinach freely when it is mixed into sauce like this. And for some reason I like this particular lasagna with ground chicken more than with ground turkey but you can easily use either. I always assemble this the night before and then just stick it in the oven the day of – with the no-boil lasagna noodles it’s really pretty easy to make. I also make this pretty low fat but it has enough flavor that you don’t miss it.
1 box no-boil lasagna noodles
1 onion, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 (15 oz) container fat free (skim) ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded 2% (part skim) mozzarella cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese
1 lb ground 98% fat free chicken breast
2 24 oz. bottles of good quality spaghetti sauce
8 oz. frozen spinach
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup oregano, chopped (or alternatively, 2 TBSP dried oregano)
1 TBSP olive oil
Salt and pepper as needed
Preheat oven to 375.
In bowl, combine beaten eggs, ricotta cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, all the parmesan, and all the parsley and oregano.
- Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium/medium-high heat and add onion. Cook until softened, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add ground chicken and brown until almost cooked through.
- Add spinach and break up any frozen chunks – cook through.
- Add one jar of spaghetti sauce. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- In a 13X9X3 pan, spread 1 cup of 2nd jar of spaghetti sauce on bottom of pan.
- Layer in the following order, 4 lasagna noodles (they will overlap), then 1/3 part of the ricotta cheese mixture, half the browned meat mixture, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1 cup of spaghetti sauce.
- Next layer 4 lasagna noodles, 1/3 part of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1 1/2 Cups sauce.
- Next layer 4 lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining meat mixture, 1 cup of sauce.
- For top layer, add 4 lasagna noodles, remaining sauce, and remaining 1 cup mozzarella. Make sure that all of the noodles are covered with sauce.
- If making immediately, bake covered with foil for 40-45 minutes. If baking the next day, add an additional 25 degrees to the oven and an additional 10-15 minutes to bake time.
- Uncover and continue cooking until all the cheese is melted on the top (about 5 minutes).
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving