So this recipe came about as a result of B asking for risotto one night and us not having any. The plan had been to have rice, a side of spinach, and some grilled chicken sausage. But since he asked so nicely I thought I would try and comply. It turned out really delish and really easy to make. Even better there was only one pot to watch and subsequently to clean. The veggie choices (and sausage choice or even cheese choice) are really up to you.
1 TBSP Olive oil
1 small onion – chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic – diced
1 12 oz. package of Chicken Sausage (either sweet Italian, or we like the tomato & basil or mushroom & garlic flavors too)
16 oz. fresh baby spinach (or ½ of a 16 oz. bag frozen spinach or 8 oz. of fresh or frozen peas)
28 oz. diced tomatoes (do not drain)
2 cups long grain rice (like basmati)
2 ½ cups chicken broth
¼ cup fresh oregano, chopped (or sub 1-2 TBSP dried, per taste)
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (or sub 1-2 TBSP dried, per taste)
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Hear EVOO on medium heat
- Sautee onions until translucent; add garlic and brown
- Add sausage until browned; add spinach (or green beans, if using) – cook until no longer frozen
- Add rice – stir so that rice is coated in oil – add salt/pepper – cook for a minute or two, stirring
- Add tomatoes – stir and add other herbs
- Add chicken broth – stir, reduce heat and cover
- Check every few minutes and stir so the bottom doesn’t burn/stick. If it starts to get dry before the rice is cooked (takes about 20 minutes to cook) add more liquid.
- Add shredded cheese before serving – stir.