One Pot Pierogies and Kielbasa
Okay, this technically requires two pots, because you have to boil the pierogies first, but it all comes together and can be served out of one pot so I think that is really what should count. This is a good dinner for when I really have no time or patience to cook but I want something filling and warm. It requires no prep work the night before and you can fancy it up as much as you’d like (sometimes I’ll make a roux in the pan and create a quick cheese sauce) – you can even take it and finish it off in the oven or under the broiler, or you can just make it quick on the stove and be done with it. It’s really barely even a recipe, but it is a good starting point.
1 package of frozen pierogies
1 package of turkey kielbasa, cut into slices
½ bag of frozen chopped broccoli
1 cup of shredded cheese
½ onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
~1 TBSP Olive Oil
- Boil a pot of water. Add pierogies and reduce heat to medium (if it boils to rapidly the pierogies will explode) – cook until the pierogies all float to the top. Drain.
- While the pierogies cook, heat olive oil in a large pan or dutch oven over medium heat – add onions and cook until starting to brown (4-5 minutes)
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute, then increase heat to medium/high and add kielbasa , cooking until brown. Add the broccoli and cook for a few more minutes, until broccoli is fully thawed.
- Add the pierogies and gently stir so that they start to brown as well.
- Remove from heat and gently mix in the cheese.