This is a really easy, super healthy meal. The chicken tacos can be made the night before and then the beans and rice can be made right before serving. And to make them even easier, sometimes I cheat and use a can of Trader Joe’s Cuban Style Black Beans which allows me to skip the seasoning steps. And of course, adjust the seasoning to make it more or less spicy – Michael and K can handle heat, but B thinks mild salsa is spicy enough so we go mild and then add our own hot sauce.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
6 chicken breasts
1 can pinto beans, drained
1.5 cups frozen corn
1 can diced tomatoes (optional: diced tomatoes with green chillies), drained
1 diced red bell pepper
2-3 Tablespoons taco seasoning to taste OR
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Taco shells, cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc.
- Place the chicken breasts at the bottom of the crock pot
- Add all other ingredients, making sure chicken is well covered and spices are mixed
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8
- Serve with traditional taco accompaniments
Black Beans and Rice
2 cups basmati or other long grain white rice
2 cans black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
2 teaspoons cumin
3 cups water
- Mix all the ingredients in a rice cooker and steam until rice is fully cooked – about 20 minutes.
- If you don’t have a rice cooker, then just cook the rice as its recommended on the package and then mix in all the other ingredients, except the water, after its cooked.