So the sauce for this dish is made in the slow cooker and then the casserole itself is assembled and cooked in about 20 minutes once you get home from work. It is a variation of this recipe for Polenta Sausage Casserole which is a really good recipe in itself – but I just wanted to make a vegetarian option. The slow cooker seems to just work really well with eggplant, which in turn works really well with the mozzarella. Plus, polenta is a nice change of pace from all the rice and pasta.
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 TBSP dried oregano
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 box of instant polenta – prepared as directed
8 oz of fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch slices
salt and pepper to taste
- Place eggplant, tomato sauce, onion, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper in slow cooker
- Cook on high for 4 hours or high for 8 hours
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler to high and prepare polenta as directed
- Coat the bottom of a baking dish with cooking spray. Add the prepared polenta, and coat with a little olive oil. Broil polenta until golden brown – about 10-15 minutes
- Remove from oven and pour sauce over top
- Arrange slices of mozzarella over top of sauce and return to broil. Broil until cheese is melted and browned – about 2-3 minutes.